Monday, January 28, 2013

Worship Old and New...

While reading through Webber's Worship Old and New there were some things I just could not grasp onto. While I do believe worship in the church has become a huge part of how we view the churches we attend. I found myself questioning where most of our american churches today are in regards to worship. Which is the right way to worship?, is there a right way in terms of the logistical layouts of our services? According to Webber there is a biblical approach as well as a cultural relevance approach to the way we worship. 

Yet most of us in American churches do not fully understand what it means to worship or be a worshipper. It has become very self centered pride-filled platform at times for musicians who just could not get to the next level. So I asked myself what it would look like for the American church to really pursue what it meant to worship beyond a musical level. Would we be open for change or would we be stuck in the way it has always been. As I read I tried to picture what it would look like for the church as a whole to do this. The picture was very chaotic and it left me thinking I don't know if we as the American church could get over our entitlement and pride that we have as Americans. This idea of I want it my way and I want it now. This is the way we are bread and taught as kids. 

While this brings up so many questions one thing is clear. People are on totally different spectrums in regards to worship. So how did something that was created as a gift from God to express his mercy and grace towards fallen people as we in turn acknowledge Christ find ourselves holding onto hymns or Mundford and Sons in church? Its an interesting take to see how far we have come from the old. I guess my questioning is. Should we have stayed there? Or do we move forward into new traditions or do we merge both together as Webber suggests. Would that make Worship palatable yet reverent towards God? I don't know, but it is an interesting thought.  

3 comments:

  1. Rob, very well said. I totoally agree with you. This is something I have been thinking about since I have been serving at Life Fellowship. The worship in the church, as well as so many others seems so dead. I keep telling the main Worship Leader that we need to really explain what worship is. I think Pastors need to do indepth series on Worship, and explain our role in/for worship. We become so wrapped up in the newest and best way of leading worship, or chosing songs that depth and purpose in worship, seems to have gone missing.
    I feel like this challenge of merging the two is going to last a while...everyone thinks they know what's best, when who knows who's even right any more. As you read more into the book, Webber will continue to challenge you with this idea of merging the two forms of worship. It gets very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, good words man. I think there are many ways that churches do a "worship service." I'm sure you know this because Heather us all read a book about many different types of worship and none of them are wrong. Some might be slightly misguided. For example picking songs that are on the radio just because people know them. Or, picking the worship leaders favorite tunes. But you are right that worship is more than what we see on a Sunday morning. In reading your blog, a story came into my mind. You may have heard it, might not have, regardless, I'm telling it. Matt Redman's church had a period where the congregation was struggling finding the meaning of worship. So the pastor decided to take the musicians and sound system away. The pastor felt like the church lost their way in worship and they needed to strip everything away to find the true meaning of it. He asked the church, "When you come in on Sunday morning , what are you bringing to offer to God?" So for a few weeks it was silent. Soon people started singing a capella praises to God. Later the musicians and sound system were returned. The church gained a new perspective that worship is all about Jesus, and He commands a response in the depths of our souls no matter what the circumstance and setting. That is when Redman wrote Heart of Worship. That song, as old as it is is still so true. Its more than a song. God is looking into our hearts. So we need to come with our hearts ready, and overflowing with offerings to give to God. But what you said is true, worship needs to be understood as something more than songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are challenging what you read and not just taking it at face. I agree with Matt in saying that there is no wrong style of worship, I do believe there is a wrong style for me just as much as a wrong style for you. Maybe it's wrong for Americans to go to churches where they like the music; worship to a style similar to Mumford and Sons. I think where the true problem lies is at the heart. We have corrupted worship because we have been corrupted beings. But does that mean that God finds no glory in any of it? Thanks for getting me thinking!

    ReplyDelete